Sorting and Decluttering
(at least 2 months before a move but ANY time is the right time)
~ Declutter your home: Begin going through your belongings room by room. Completing one room before moving on to the next will give you a sense of accomplishment and help maintain your motivation.
* Use the “Three-Box Method” (keep, donate/sell, and trash) to help you decide what to keep and what to part with.
* Dispose of hazardous materials: Properly dispose of items like old paint, chemicals, and electronics according to local regulations. (Pro tip: do this well before a move so you can take advantage of community hazmat discard events)
* Set Limits: For items that are difficult to part with, set limits on the number you can keep. For example, if you have a large collection of books, decide to keep only the number that will fit on your new bookshelves.
* Sentimental Items: Consider taking photos of sentimental items or keeping a small, representative sample. You can create a digital or physical scrapbook to preserve the memories without keeping all the physical clutter.
* Use What You Have: Try to use up perishable items in your pantry, toiletries, or cleaning supplies to prevent waste and reduce what you need to move.